Mount Laurel Child Support Attorney

Helping You Determine a Fair Amount of Child Support

The state of New Jersey expects both parents to continue to support their children and be involved in their children's lives, after a divorce or after the birth of the child. One of you may be considered the parent of primary residence, while the other may be considered the parent of alternate residence. The parent of alternate residence often pays child support to the parent of primary residence. The goal is to make the transition as easy on the children as possible and to help keep their quality of life at approximately the same level as it was prior to the breakup.

At Fuhrman & Edelman we know how much your children mean to you and want to help you ensure that they are supported properly. We work with you and your spouse or co-parent to establish an amount of child support that is reasonable and within the state guidelines. Our competent family law attorneys have practiced in Mount Laurel and the surrounding areas in Burlington County since 1986. We have a good idea as to whether the courts will accept your suggested support arrangement or not.

We provide a free consultation with our Mount Laurel child support attorneys to help you! Call (856) 288-2772 to set-up an appointment.

How Is Child Support Determined?

All income from each parent is entered into a child support worksheet, which considers the standard expenses of raising a child. If a child has special needs, such as health concerns or learning disabilities that cost more, this may also be factored into the overall child support total.

Other considerations made while calculating child support include:

  • Children from other marriages or partnerships that each parent may have
  • Whether each parent is employed and his or her employment prospects
  • How much parenting time each parent has with his or her children

Do You Have to Pay Child Support if You Have 50/50 Custody in NJ?

The court may still order parents with shared physical custody to pay child support in New Jersey. The amount of child support is determined by a formula that considers both parents' income, the number of children, and the cost of living in the area. The formula is designed to ensure that both parents contribute equally to the financial support of their children.

The primary child support obligation is calculated by multiplying the non-custodial parent's net income by a percentage based on the number of children. For example, the percentage for one child is 17%, and the percentage for two children is 25%. The basic child support obligation is then adjusted for the cost of living in the area.

In addition to the primary child support obligation, the court may order the non-custodial parent to pay for the child's health insurance, daycare, and other expenses. The amount of these additional expenses is determined on a case-by-case basis.

The child support order is reviewed every three years to ensure it is still fair and equitable. The judge may modify the order if either parent's income changes significantly.

If a parent fails to pay child support, they may be held in contempt of court. Contempt of court is a serious offense that can result in fines, jail time, or both.

It is essential for parents to understand their child support obligations and to make sure that they are paying on time. Child support is not optional; it is crucial to ensure children have the financial support they need to grow up healthy and happy.

Our child support attorneys in Mount Laurel can explain the process, your options, and their potential consequences. We advise you on what your best decision may be based on their many years of experience with the family court system. Ultimately, the decision on how to proceed is up to you.

If your former spouse or co-parent is not paying child support, we can file for enforcement of court orders. This will compel him or her to pay current and withheld child support or risk losing his or her driver's license and spending time in jail. We can request garnishment of your former spouse or co-parent's wages, tax returns, or other income if necessary.

Schedule a free consultation at (856) 288-2772 or email us to discuss your child support concerns!

Take The First Step Today

    • Please enter your name.
    • This isn't a valid phone number.
      Please enter your phone number.
    • This isn't a valid email address.
      Please enter your email address.
    • Please make a selection.
    • Please enter a message.
Put Us On Your Side